For Immediate Release
December 27, 2016
SAMSON EBUKAM, TERIYON GIPSON, SEAN MAGUIRE, PITA TAUMOEPENU, CAMERON TOM COMMIT TO 2017 NFLPA COLLEGIATE BOWL
The NFL Players Association is proud to announce the next set of player commitments to the 2017 NFLPA Collegiate Bowl. Joining the National and American team rosters are Eastern Washington defensive lineman Samson Ebukam, New Mexico running back Teriyon Gipson, Florida State quarterback Sean Maguire, Utah linebacker Pita Taumoepenu, and Southern Mississippi center Cameron Tom.
Highlights from the five committed players include:
- Ebukam tallied 71 tackles, including 14.5 for loss through 14 games this season. He also added 9.5 sacks and one interception for the Eagles.
- With 1,269 yards and 13 touchdowns, Gipson led the Lobos in rushing yards while playing in 11 of 13 games this season.
- After suffering an early injury, Maguire was unable to play most of the season. But he made his presence felt when he was on the field, throwing for two touchdowns with a pass efficiency of 141.5 in four games.
- A ferocious pass rusher, Taumoepenu is a force at both defensive end positions for Utah. His 19.5 career sacks rank sixth all-time in school history. Through 11 games this season, he has 35 tackles (including 10 for loss), seven sacks and two forced fumbles.
- A preseason first-team All-Conference USA selection, Tom made line calls for an offense that rushed for 2,688 yards in 13 games this season.
In this year’s NFLPA Collegiate Bowl, Mike Martz will look to defend his 2016 National Team title against Jim Zorn’s American Team at StubHub Center on the campus of California State University Dominguez Hills. The Jan. 21 game will be broadcast by Fox Sports on FS1 with kickoff slated for 1 p.m. PST/4 p.m. EST.
About the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl:
Founded in 2012, the annual NFLPA Collegiate Bowl gives prospective players the best opportunity to showcase their talents to potential employers and fans. Nearly 200 scouts, player personnel staff, general managers and head coaches from all 32 NFL teams are expected be in attendance to watch live practices, conduct player interviews and review tape. Participants in the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl have the unique opportunity to network with and learn from current and former NFL players. These veterans provide players with first-hand insight on what it takes to win on and off the field. Since its inception, many players have gone on to begin careers in professional football, with notable Collegiate Bowl alumni including Seattle Seahawks quarterback Trevone Boykin (2016 alum), San Diego Chargers linebacker Jatavis Brown (2016), Kansas City Chiefs wide receiver Chris Conley (2015) and Oakland Raiders punter Marquette King (2012).