For Immediate Release
December 26, 2016
SHAQUILL GRIFFIN, DES LAWRENCE, BRADLEY NORTHNAGEL, NATHAN THEAKER, AND JOSHUA THORNTON COMMIT TO 2017 NFLPA COLLEGIATE BOWL
The NFL Players Association is proud to announce the next set of player commitments to the 2017 NFLPA Collegiate Bowl. Joining the National and American team rosters are Central Florida defensive back Shaquill Griffin, North Carolina defensive back Des Lawrence, long snapper California Bradley Northnagel, Wayne State offensive lineman Nate Theaker and Southern Utah defensive back Joshua Thornton.
Highlights from the five committed players include:
- Through 13 games, Griffin totaled 50 tackles, including three for loss, and led his team with four interceptions.
- Lawrence tallied 33 tackles, adding one sack and nine pass breakups for the Tar Heels through 12 games this season.
- Northnagel’s extraordinary consistency as a long snapper for the Golden Bears earned him a spot on the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl roster.
- Theaker’s strong showing on the offensive line this fall helped him earn 2016 GLIAC Offensive Lineman of the Year and 2016 AFCA National Division II first-team All-American honors.
- Thornton had 38 tackles and three interceptions for the Thunderbirds.
In this year’s NFLPA Collegiate Bowl, Mike Martz will look to defend his 2016 National Team title against Jim Zorn’s American Team at StubHub Center on the campus of California State University Dominguez Hills. The Jan. 21 game will be broadcast by Fox Sports on FS1 with kickoff slated for 1 p.m. PST/4 p.m. EST.
About the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl:
Founded in 2012, the annual NFLPA Collegiate Bowl gives prospective players the best opportunity to showcase their talents to potential employers and fans. Nearly 200 scouts, player personnel staff, general managers and head coaches from all 32 NFL teams are expected be in attendance to watch live practices, conduct player interviews and review tape. Participants in the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl have the unique opportunity to network with and learn from current and former NFL players. These veterans provide players with first-hand insight on what it takes to win on and off the field. Since its inception, many players have gone on to begin careers in professional football, with notable Collegiate Bowl alumni including Seattle Seahawks quarterback Trevone Boykin (2016 alum), San Diego Chargers linebacker Jatavis Brown (2016), Kansas City Chiefs wide receiver Chris Conley (2015) and Oakland Raiders punter Marquette King (2012).