For Immediate Release
January 11, 2017
T.J. LOGAN, TAQUAN MIZZELL, ZACHARY PASCAL, DE’VEON SMITH, MIKE TYSON, ANTHONY WALES COMMIT TO 2017 NFLPA COLLEGIATE BOWL
The NFL Players Association is proud to announce the next set of player commitments to the 2017 NFLPA Collegiate Bowl. Joining the National and American team rosters are North Carolina running back T.J. Logan, Virginia running back Taquan Mizzell, Old Dominion wide receiver Zachary Pascal, Michigan running back De’Veon Smith, Cincinnati defensive back Mike Tyson and Western Kentucky running back Anthony Wales.
Highlights from the six committed players include:
- A dual threat out of the backfield, Logan rushed for 650 yards and seven touchdowns while recording 29 catches for 244 yards and three more scores for the Tar Heels.
- Mizzell was one of four players in the country to lead his team in rushing yards (940) and receptions (52). He also became the first player in ACC history with 1,500 career rushing yards and 1,500 career receiving yards.
- In earning second-team All-Conference USA honors, Pascal led Old Dominion with 65 catches for 946 yards and nine touchdowns, making him the school’s all-time leader in receptions with 233.
- As the Wolverines’ main rusher, Smith accumulated 901 yards and 10 touchdowns on the ground.
- Tyson recorded 46 tackles and five interceptions for the Bearcats.
- As the top playmaker on the nation’s highest-scoring offense, Wales led the country in rushing touchdowns (27), scoring (13.4 points per game), total points scored (174) and total touchdowns (29) to go with his 1,663 rushing yards for the Hilltoppers.
In this year’s NFLPA Collegiate Bowl, Mike Martz will look to defend his 2016 National Team title against Jim Zorn’s American Team at StubHub Center on the campus of California State University Dominguez Hills. The Jan. 21 game will be broadcast by Fox Sports on FS1 with kickoff slated for 1:15 p.m. PST/4:15 p.m. EST.
About the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl:
Founded in 2012, the annual NFLPA Collegiate Bowl gives prospective players the best opportunity to showcase their talents to potential employers and fans. Nearly 200 scouts, player personnel staff, general managers and head coaches from all 32 NFL teams are expected be in attendance to watch live practices, conduct player interviews and review tape. Participants in the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl have the unique opportunity to network with and learn from current and former NFL players. These veterans provide players with first-hand insight on what it takes to win on and off the field. Since its inception, many players have gone on to begin careers in professional football, with notable Collegiate Bowl alumni including Seattle Seahawks quarterback Trevone Boykin (2016 alum), San Diego Chargers linebacker Jatavis Brown (2016), Kansas City Chiefs wide receiver Chris Conley (2015) and Oakland Raiders punter Marquette King (2012).